Hypocrisy ...
PLEASE, please, please explain to me why some women wear sheitels that are prettier than their own hair? They look natural and hot. Is this not a problem?
Please explain to me why I can't turn on a light on Shabbos but I can hire someone to do it for me?
Please explain to me why my rabbi preaches about the importance of doing tshuva, and I do, and I do it with him, yet he who has been a prick to me, and knows it, just smiles and does not ask for forgiveness, he who sits on the bet din?
And finally, please explain to me why we never see DovBear and RenReb in the same room at the same time. Are they the same person? Were they separated at birth? Is Amshi the evil triplet?
And, since I want to be RenReb's best friend, don't forget to vote for her in three races here. And DovBear too, while you're at it.
Please explain to me why I can't turn on a light on Shabbos but I can hire someone to do it for me?
Please explain to me why my rabbi preaches about the importance of doing tshuva, and I do, and I do it with him, yet he who has been a prick to me, and knows it, just smiles and does not ask for forgiveness, he who sits on the bet din?
And finally, please explain to me why we never see DovBear and RenReb in the same room at the same time. Are they the same person? Were they separated at birth? Is Amshi the evil triplet?
And, since I want to be RenReb's best friend, don't forget to vote for her in three races here. And DovBear too, while you're at it.
8 Comments:
1) Women can wear sheitels that are prettier than their real hair because the mitzvah is to have it covered, not to have it covered with something ugly. However, there are quite a few women (more so in Israel than the US, I'll admit) that are makpid to wear sheitlach that are clearly NOT their own hair and are not particularly attractive.
2) You can't turn on the light on Shabbos because you're a Jew. You can hire someone (when it's not Shabbos, otherwise you have an amira l'akum problem) who is not Jewish to turn on and off lights for you because s/he is not a Jew and does not have to keep Shabbos. Where's the hypocracy?
3) On your rabbi and doing teshuva--I can't answer that for you. But if your analysis of the situation is correct, and he has done you wrong and not attempted to correct it or ask for your forgiveness, he will have to answer for that next Yom Kippur, as well as after 120 years.
4) Regarding DovBear and RenReb, I also have no answer. Good luck becoming her best friend, though. I wish I was in the running, but I don't think she knows my blog (such as it is) exists.
1) I thought the reason to cover is to be less attractive to males once you are married. Literal taking of the law or intent?
2) Yes, I as a Jew can't 'work' on Shabbat. But if I have someone do everything for me, then pay them, it just seems, again, to violate the intent. I could be wrong.
3) He knows. Bummer.
4) Maybe I'll rat you out to her!
Thanks for the feedback.
1) The reason to cover is "se'ar b'ishah ervah". Perhaps the sheitlach that look so real that they could be mistaken for real hair are going against the spirit of the law for a woman to cover her hair, which is why some women don't wear such sheitlach. But they are not assur, nor would I consider them to be hypocritical. If wearing a nice sheitel makes it easier for a woman to cover her hair because it makes her feel presentable when she walks outside her house, then by all means she should.
2) You're right, there's a concept of "uvda d'chol"--that certain actions, while not strictly against the laws of Shabbos, should not be done on Shabbos anyway because they would go against the spirit of Shabbos. Paying a non-Jew to do everything for you on Shabbos would certainly violate that. However, if there is some extenuating circumstance--for instance, if a family would hire someone to push a wheelchair-bound family member to shul in an area with no eruv--and it's only done for a specific purpose, not just having a non-Jew around doing everything so much that you can't tell it's Shabbos...so then I wouldn't say it's hypocritical.
3) Stinks for him. Bummer indeed.
4) Go right ahead. Make my day. :)
OK, Scraps, he ratted you out to me, and my personal opinion is that he did it just to get me to comment on his cockyheaded blog. So you can be in the running for my best friend, if you want, but it usually entails hefty bribery. (Dovie was late with a payment, that's why he got kicked out of the top spot)
Bribery of what sort? I'll vote for you as often as I can... ;)
I could be completely wrong, but isn't it technically not allowed to hire a non-jew to do something for you on shabbos, unless there's an emergency?
1. Women wear sheitels that are prettier than their hair because it is the easiest way to observe the mitzvah (in chutz l'eretz). A woman still feels this thing on her head so it is clear to her that she is married and keeping this mitzvah. It is also so clear to her that this is not her hair. The fact that a stranger might initially think so is irrevelant. Lesser observant Men & women who say that these women aren't fulfilling the mitzvah are usually just trying to justify themselves since they/ or their spouse doesn't cover her hair.
2. You can't hire someone to turn on the light, they have to sense that you want it on, or do it for themselves.
3. Rabbis are human. They make mistakes too.
Read The Shabbat Elevator and other Sabbath Subterfuges by Alan Dundes
Post a Comment
<< Home